Delicious tamarind 'straws' and essential to make the famous Mexican Mangonadas.
* 5 large ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted and cut into 1cm pieces (about 8 cups)
* ¼ cup granulated sugar, or to taste
* ¼ cup fresh lime juice (from 2 fresh limes)
* 1½ cups cold water, or as needed
* ¾ cup silver tequila or rum (optional)
* ¾ to 1 cup chamoy or to taste
* Tajin to sprinkle
* 4 Banderilla Tama-Roca tamarind candy straws
* Place 5 cups mango in a blender, reserving the remaining 3 cups.
* Add the sugar, lime juice and 3/4 cup cold water to the blender, and blend on medium-high speed until puréed.
* Blend in tequila or rum, if using and additional water, adding 1/4 cup at a time, until mango mixture reaches the desired consistency.
* Chill mango mixture, covered, in refrigerator until ready to serve. For a colder mangonada, transfer mixture to the freezer until it reaches the consistency of a slushy.
* In 4 x 250ml glasses, add the following to each: ½ cup of mango mixture & ⅓ cup reserved mango chunks, followed by 1½ - 2 tablespoons chamoy and a generous sprinkle of Tajín.
* Repeat with the remaining mango mixture, mango pieces, chamoy and a final sprinkling of Tajín on top.
* Garnish each glass with a tamarind candy straw and spoon. Serve immediately.
Tub contains 20 pieces of candy, 20gm each. Also perfect for a pinata filler.
Ingredients: Cane sugar, tamarind pulp, iodized salt, citric acid, chile powder, artificial color.